What is the Sports Premium?
The Government provides additional funding to improve the provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. The money is provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. It can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools. We will be held accountable for how we have used the additional funding to support pupils progress and participation in PE and school sport. We are required to publish on-line information about how we have used the additional funding, including details about our sporting provision alongside curriculum details. This will ensure that parents / carers and others are made fully aware of the PE and sporting provision at Plover School.
What is the purpose of the grant?
Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and sport they offer. It should be used to develop or add to the PE and sport activities that our school already offers and make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years. For example, the funding could be used to:
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with training or resources to help them teach PE and sport more effectively
- introduce new sports or activities and encourage more pupils to take up sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions
- increase pupils’ participation in school games
- run sports activities with other schools
The premium must be spent by schools on making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles.